Weekly Review – 30.11.18
This week the children have continued to enjoy learning about The Ancient Romans and have been sharing some amazing home learning, including some fantastic Roman shields and model volcanoes.
In Literacy, we have been learning how to take part in debates effectively. We have looked at the pros and cons of gladiator fighting and made notes to support arguments for and against this topic. We have also been learning to use persuasive language in their debates and give reasons for their views.
In Numeracy, we have been learning to measure length accurately with a ruler using the correct units of measurement (cm and mm). We have estimated the lengths of various classroom objects and explained their reasoning for their estimates. Finally, we have recorded their length estimates and checked them using a ruler.
In Science, we have been learning to describe the properties of rocks. We drew, labelled and wrote short descriptions of different rocks. We have been learning igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic rocks and how they are formed.
In Art, we have continued to make our own colour wheel collages. We particularly enjoyed looking for various textures and colour shades to enhance our work. We chose primary and secondary colours for our collage wheel.
In Topic, we have started to research famous Roman Emperors. We have looked at their success and achievements. We have made our own Roman Emperor fact files and included interesting facts.
Notices and dates for your diaries:
- School will be closed on Wednesday 5th December.
- Celebration Assembly Monday 10th December, lesson 6 – please bring/wear house shirts on this day.
- Tuesday 11th December – Year 3 Roman Day. Children will need to come dressed in Roman costume so start organising outfits! Parents are welcome to join us from 1.30pm for the Roman parade/battle march on the playground outside of the Prep building.
- Thursday 13th December – Y3 Class Parties (lessons 5 and 6)
- Friday 14th December – this is a half day. Please pick your child up at 12.50pm.
The Year 3 Team