This week, Year 3 have had a productive week of learning, including lessons linked to our topic for this term – Showstoppers – Roald Dahl’s Revolting Rhymes. We have also started thinking about and preparing for our upcoming show by practising our scripts and beginning to learn the songs.
In Literacy, we have been thinking about the format and structure of play scripts by organising a ‘muddled’ script as well as adding stage directions (verbs and adverbs) to help the reader understand how to act and speak their lines.
In Maths, we have been exploring the concept of perimeter. We have identified what ‘perimeter’ is as well as calculated the perimeter of both simple and compound shapes. At the end of the week, we also applied these skills to solve a topic-based problem by creating a fairy tale village, in which each character required a house with a set perimeter.
In Topic, we have continued to develop our understanding of grid references and looked at maps in more details. In particular, we have discussed how keys can help to understand a map and added these to a fantasy map.
In Science, we started our new topic – Light and Shadow. During our first lesson, we identified different sources of light (both natural and artificial) and explained how light allows us to see. We also drew diagrams to illustrate our understanding.
In Art, we explored the medium of water colour, which was often used by our focus illustrator – Quentin Blake. This week, we experimented using water colours to paint and created a colour wheel to demonstrate our learning and painting skills.
Have a great weekend.
Year 3 Team
- Please continue to help the children to learn their lines for our Year 3 show, as we will be starting to rehearse next week in the Memorial Hall.
- Year 3/4 Sports day – Thursday 7th February (8am – 9.30am). Please can children wear house shirts, PE shorts and trainers on this date. Water bottles and hats will also be necessary.
- Celebration of Chinese New Year – Friday 1st February
- FOBISIA Short Story Competition – Due by Monday 4th February
- Year 3 Show – Thursday 14th February (8.00am). Please come to watch this fantastic show and support the children.