Friday 15th December 2017
It has been a very busy week in Year 4! The children thoroughly enjoyed giving Secret Santa gifts to each other whilst raising money for charity at the same time. We saw some entertaining dancing during our Christmas party games and they particularly enjoyed tucking into their party feasts. All leftover food was also donated to charity. We would also like to say a huge well done to all of those children who participated in our Christmas Carol Concerts on Wednesday. Thank you for your support with our festive activities this week.
Many children have had an opportunity to share their India Long Term Project with their class. The quality of the work completed at home has been excellent and we have been very impressed with the children’s ability to work collaboratively together. We will continue to share more projects after the holiday.
In Literacy, we have now published our final draft of our persuasion text. Next term, we will begin a new unit on ‘Suspense Stories.’ We will eventually write suspense stories which link to our Natural Disasters topic.
In Numeracy, we have spent the week completing problem solving activities. Our next unit will be ‘Decimals.’ We will be using a mastery approach to help develop the childrens’ fluency, reasoning and ability to problem solve.
In Humanities, we have completed the filming of our weather reports which describe India’s climate. Next term, our new topic will be ‘Natural Disasters.’ In Science, we have used PowerPoint to create presentations which give people advice on how they can help prevent climate change. Our next topic will be ‘Sound.’ In Art, we have painted and completed our Batik work and evaluated how well we used different skills to create our final design. Next term, we will look at the work of the Japanese artist Hokusai and then use water colour to replicate the style of this artist.
We would like to wish you all a Merry Christmas and A Happy New year! Enjoy the holidays.
The Year 4 Team
- Monday 8TH January 2018 – School Closed. First day back is Tuesday 9th January 2018 (Day 7). All specialist lessons and YouTime will resume then.
- Tuesday 9th January 2018 – Christmas Reading Challenge due. Please ensure that children have completed their home learning reading task. See Firefly for instructions and complete on Google Drive.
- Tuesday 9th January 2018 – New value of the month: Kindness.
- Wednesday 10th January 2018 and Thursday 11th January 2018 – Parent Teacher Conferences. Please check communication books for appointment times.
- Friday 12th January 2018 – Family Fun Night.
- Tuesday 23rd January 2018 – 4MA Class Assembly.
Please note that children should have their Art shirts in school after the holidays as they will need these throughout our new art project.